In 2006 we were approached by John Morgan of Greenwood Development Corp. about restoring an old farm house to be used as the clubhouse for the Ponds neighborhood. The site of the Ponds was a farm in Summerville, SC and included the original farm house dating back to the 1840s. The plantation property dates back to 1682, and because of the long history of the site, the developers greatly valued the surviving house. The developer wanted to restore the dilapidated farm house, which, at the start of the project, was being used as a make shift hunting lodge, and turn it into the focal point of the neighborhood. Before any restoration could be done, the farmhouse first had to be moved approximately 200 feet to its current resting place. The farm house was to contain the real estate offices as well as a meeting hall while preserving as much of the original architecture as possible as the farm house will be given back to the Ponds Conservancy for community social and cultural events.
Two articles in local publications have featured the Ponds farmhouse. The first article was published in the Post and Courier and gives an in-depth account of all the challenges and triumphs surrounding the project (read that article here). The second article, featured in The Summerville Journal Scene, highlights the Merit Award we received from the South Carolina chapter of the American Institute of Architects (read that article here).